Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Some through the waters, some through the floods...

It's been awhile since I've gotten on here, but my devotional was great and I had to share! Today's devotional was by Mary Southerland (I feel I always end up having stuff to say when she's writing). It's was called, "Lord, Life Scares Me!" (She told the story of when her son, Jered was 2 and they had their first beach trip. He loved water, but the moment they got to the beach he was scared because it was too big!). So many times in our life we get into situations and circumstances that seem "too big" for us to handle. I thought about it and I've been through a lot of those times. The one that always sticks out most for me is my senior year when I got into a relationship that I should have never gotten into...it was an online relationship but it was with a guy that I had formerly gone to my church. The moment he started his sweet talk, he had me. Soon I was pulled completely under and didn't care what anyone thought! I knew it was wrong, but it was the first to say he loved me so I wasn't gonna let anyone/anything stop me! The circumstance was too big for me to handle by the end when I knew how wrong it was, but couldn't get myself out of it because I had let myself get too attached.

There were so many people praying for me to see what was right and for God to bring me out of that before it was too late. The relationship started in August 2007 and by God's grace ended in January 2008 (only a month before I was going to meet up with him and could have ruined my life). I praise God that He spared me from hurt and a lifetime of regrets. It took a while for me to forgive myself and that guy for what happened. But through God's strength alone I made it through and am joyfully and patiently waiting for Mr. Right.

So many of us have been though other circumstances, even ones that we can't control like sudden deaths in the family like I experienced at a young age when my dad passed away suddenly. Depression, abuse, relationship problems, health...all these trials can come into our lives and seem too big for us to handle and I can say personally that I have gone through most of these. But the greatest and most reassuring promise from God is that He WILL be there for us to get us through. These things in our life aren't a surprise to Him--He knows what has/is/will happen in our lives! And He wants more than anything to walk us through those times and be there right by our sides giving us the strength and will to get through them! We just need to get to our knees and seek Him in those times and ask Him for His great and mighty arms to come around us and help us get through...and He will! We have an awesome God! Live for Him and allow Him to walk you through the trials!

Some through the waters, some through the flood,
Some through the fire, but all through the blood;
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song,
In the night season and all the day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment